©2008 Historic Downtown Association
319 North Main
(circa 1875, Gustave Johannpeter)
Gustave Johannpeter built this brick two story brick with the roundel (round window) in the cornice in 1875. He sold it to Frederick Gut in 1883 for $1100. By 1895 Henry Broeker, artist and painter, had moved his painting company here where he sold paint, wallpaper, glass and oils. He decorated many turn of the century homes with wall paper, wood graining and special whitewashes for plastered ceilings perfecting skills he first learned in his native Prussia. Ground color pigments were mixed by hand for special colors, but wallpaper was chosen for parlours and important rooms in most homes. Many Main Street commercial buildings had large ornate business signs designed and painted by Henry Broeker.